DR ARON MAZEL, LECTURER - NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY
Project Manager of 'Web Access to Rock Art: the Beckensall Archive of Northumberland Rock Art'
• The management and interpretation of cultural heritage.
• History of South African museums.
• The construction of hunter-gatherer archaeological history, including the integration of information derived from excavations with that from rock art (research area: Thukela basin, South Africa).
• The absolute and relative dating of rock art.
• Northumberland rock art.
• The portrayal of San hunter-gatherer and Black farming community archaeological history in South African schools textbooks and museums since the 1970's.
• Changing interpretations of hunter-gatherer history.
Roles and Responsibilities
Module Leader - Master of Practice
To develop third-strand revenue
2002 Head: Research & Interpretation (Social History), Iziko Museums of Cape Town.
1998 - 2002 Director, South African Cultural History Museum.
1994 - 1997 Assistant Director, Natal Museum.
1981 - 1994 Museum Human Scientist (Archaeology), Natal Museum.
1979 - 1981 Temporary Professional Officer (Archaeology), Natal Museum.
1978 Tutor (Archaeology), University of Cape Town.
British Rock Art Group (BRAG).
Council for British Archaeology (CBA).
Museums and Galleries History Group (MGHG).
Pan African Association for Prehistory and Related Studies.
South African Archaeological Society.
South African Museums Association.
The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Honours and Awards
The British Isles Prehistory Archive