Inora Newsletter #46
INTERNATIONAL CUPULE CONFERENCE 2007
The Cochabamba Rock Art Research Association (AEARC) invites cupule experts from all over the world to the International Cupule Conference, to be held in Cochabamba (Bolivia, South America) from 17 July to 23 July 2007.
The International Cupule Conference will take place in the city of Cochabamba, situated in a beautiful valley in central Bolivia. This region presents a huge variety of cupule sites, which vary in their antiquity, symbolism and function. Three days of the conference will be dedicated to the different symposia and the remaining four days to the excursions to cupule areas. Cupule experts are invited to present papers in the following symposia:
1) Cupules and their antiquity (dating). Chaired by Robert Bednarik.
2) Possible symbolism of cupules. Chaired by Roy Querejazu Lewis.
3) Possible function of cupules. Chaired by Roy Querejazu Lewis.
4) The re-use of cupules (ethnographic research). Chaired by Roy Querejazu Lewis.
5) Different types of cupules and their combination with other types of rock art. Chaired by Roy Querejazu Lewis.
6) Natural cupules (non-anthropic). Chaired by Robert Bednarik.
7) Replication work with cupules. Chaired by Giriraj Kumar.
8) The taphonomy of cupules. Chaired by Robert Bednarik.
9) Cupules and rock gongs (lithophones). Chaired by Robert Bednarik.
10) Cupules and their lithologies (the importance of understanding the relationship between cupules and the rock types they are found on). Chaired by Robert Bednarik.
11) Preservation of cupule sites. Chaired by R.C. Agrawal.
12) Different types of cupules in Bolivia (a presentation of cupule areas for the conference excursions).
The eleven first symposia will be for the international experts. English will be the main language. All papers will be of an international scientific standard. The last symposium (on cupules in Bolivia) will be reserved for AEARC’s and other Bolivian researchers and will have an introductory purpose for the excursions.
The main excursion (4 days) will be to the Mizque area where participants will have the opportunity to visit Inca Huasi Uyuchama, Uyuchama 2, and the three terraces of Lakatambo including the recently discovered rocks with cupules. The cupules of the Mizque area present a remarkable variety in their chronology, symbolism and possible functions. The remaining excursions comprise one day visits to Llave Chico, Kalatrancani, and the area of Tarata. Likewise, excursions to cupule areas beyond the Department of Cochabamba can also be arranged. This excursion needs a minimum of three days. Participants will be able to choose their respective cupule excursions during the Conference. All excursions will have low costs directed to cover the main expenses.
The City of Cochabamba and the Town of Mizque have a variety of hotels and restaurants with low, moderate and high prices. During July it is winter in Bolivia with sunny days (when it can be quite warm) and cool nights when a sweater or jacket is needed.
The participation fee for the international experts ($US 100.- one hundred U.S. Dollars) can be paid on the first day of the Conference. Abstracts should be sent before 31st March 2007.
AEARC has opened a larger e-mail address in order to receive enquiries and the papers of the participants:
AEARC International Cupule Conference 2007
Prof. Roy Querejazu Lewis, President AEARC
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or E-mail: email@example.com
Postal address: AEARC, Casilla 4243, Cochabamba, Bolivia.