Lion Man - Limited Edition Sculpture
Plaster, hand-painted with natural pigment, stainless steel, tulip wood base
Product Code : LMANFIG001
Sculpture inspired by the Ice Age
'Lion Man from Stadel Cave' carving
This standing human figure with a lion’s head is sculpted from mammoth ivory. It was found in many pieces and parts of the front of the body are missing. The stance and muscularity of the shoulders suggest a man standing on tip toes with arms to his sides.
The left upper arm is marked with incisions which might represent tattoos or scarring. The head faces forward in an alert stare emphasised by a powerful jaw line and upright ears. Is this a man wearing a lion headdress, or is it a mythical or supernatural being?
plus $15 p&p
Each extra sculpture $10 p&p
· Age: 40,000 years old.
· Discovered: Stadel Cave on the Hohlenstein, Germany.
· Museum: Ulmer Museum, Ulm, Germany.
· Actual size: 28.1 cms tall; 6.3 cms wide; 5.9 cms thick.
· Sculpture: Limited Edition of 250
· Artist: Peter Lyell Robinson, Bradshaw Foundation
· Medium: Plaster, hand-painted with natural pigment.
· Stainless steel, tulip wood base.
· Sculpture dimensions: 24 cms tall [overall 28cms]; 6 cms wide; 5 cms thick.
Download the Bradshaw Foundation Ice Age Sculpture Collection Catalogue in PDF format. Windows users 'right click' and 'save' Macintosh users 'ctrl click' on the icon to the left.
→ Ice Age Sculpture Collection